Correspondence of Hazrat Mufti Mahmood Hasan Gangohi رحمہ اللہ
Summary of Letter:
Respected Mufti Saheb,
Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh
1. I am trying to give up smoking but I do not seem to be able to give it up?
2. Previously in my ignorance I had photographs taken of myself. Some of these are in my possession while some are in the possession of others. What should I do with those photographs?
3. I always over-eat. How can I stop this?
Summary of Reply:
Respected Brother / Sister
Walaikum Assalam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu
1. To give up your habit of smoking adopt the following procedure: Immediately cut down the number of cigarettes you smoke daily by a quarter. After one week cut it down by another quarter. In this manner each week reduce it by quarter. Insha-Allah you will then manage to give up this habit.
2. Burn the photographs that you have in your possession. Also acquire those photographs which are in the possession of others and burn them. If they refuse to give them to you, buy them from those people and burn them.
3. Fix the amount that you require to eat beforehand and eat that much only. Do not eat to your full. One should stop eating when just a little hunger is still left.